Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Exercising the Brain

I recently started applying for jobs. Not many, but I'm picking and choosing what I apply for. One of the jobs is with the State of Oklahoma. I received an e-mail stating that I qualified for the position and inviting me to take the performance test for it, which I did this morning. Was in two parts: typing and written. My typing speed was 70 wpm which I believe to be low for me. Add in the nervous aspect and the different keyboard with a backspace key that was in an odd spot and it resulted in a lower number than I wanted. Would have liked to at least get an 80, but oh well. So it goes. The written part consisted of 100 multiple choice questions. I scored a 95. A few frustrating mistakes, but I suppose I shouldn't complain...95's not bad. It actually felt good to use the brain again. :)

The deadline to write the test for this position is tomorrow. They will take the top 10 scores and choose persons to interview from those, then hire someone. I have no idea how many wrote the test, so I really don't know if I stand a chance or not. If not, I'll keep plugging along.

I must say that I'm not really looking forward to attending interviews. It's been like some 23 years since I did that. And being a recent immigrant, I kinda think that might work against me. No doubt companies would prefer to hire one of their own.

A frustrating part of being an immigrant is having no history; in particular, a credit history. A few days ago I applied on-line for a Visa credit card for the specific purpose of establishing credit down here and I was granted one with a mere $500.00 limit (lol). I feel like a teenager just starting out in life!

I think I'm too old for all this. :)

No comments: