Monday, May 23, 2011

A State of Awe

That's what I was in this past Saturday evening, May 21st.

As I entered a Mardel store, I had no idea that an hour later my eyes would behold one of the most awesome sights I've ever seen. Upon leaving the store at approximately 8 p.m. I was awestruck by the cloud before me. Truly a wow moment. Also a Kodak moment, but with no camera in vehicle (argh!), I scrambled to figure out the camera feature on my newly acquired cell phone. I managed to snap several shots, but without the proper USB cable, I'm unable to transfer them from phone to computer. I shall have to purchase me one of those. In the meantime, I was happy to find a picture on-line that someone else took and shared of the SAME cloud (confirmed by date and location). I have almost the exact same one. Here it is....


Now isn't that incredible?! Of course it goes without saying that the picture doesn't do it justice. I was looking around, expecting people to also be gazing at this beautiful wonder, but no one seemed to be taking note. Hello?!! Are you not seeing what I'm seeing??!!!!

The next day (Sunday), hubby called around 6:30 p.m. to tell me to pick him up from work in a half hour. He ended the conversation with, "Be sure to look at the clouds". This is what I saw from the parking lot of our apartment complex.


When I picked him up, he shared with me the pics he'd taken with his iPhone earlier in the day, a couple of which I now share with you. I'm amazed at how the clouds seem to be just sitting on the horizon...



Driving home we approached the wall of clouds before us...

(clicking on pics gives a larger view)
To the right of us was a mushroom cloud that had dissipated:


It's difficult to describe what it's like being in the midst of it. Like being in a dream, or a movie, or ... something!

Unfortunately, about the same time that I was in awe of these cloud formations, Joplin, Missouri had been hit by one massively destructive tornado. :(

No comments: